Question: Oil Consumption

From: Dan Jones (amishpimp93@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 00:56:34 EDT

Well, this is the second time this has happened in a couple of months. The
dak ran outa oil. Ok, I check my oil once about every 3 weeks or sooner.
The first time the check engine light came on when i was comming back from
an errand, when i got home and checked the oil, the stick was absolutly dry.
  I was like wtf? So i poured a couple of quarts in to bring it back up and
soon after that the light went off. At that point i started to watch it
more closely. About 2-3 weeks ago i noticed it was starting to go down a
little bit. Well this saturday night comming home from work the dang light
came back on and i was like, crap, the oil. Got home and checked it again,
the stick was dry. Poured in a couple more quarts and brought it back up.
Thing is, no oil is dripping and im not seeing smoke commin out the back so
its gotta be burning it slightly.
   Well today i took it into the dodge dealer and asked them about it. They
said to bring it in and have the oil changed thier and so they can start a
oil consumption test and have me bring it every 500 miles to check it out.
I asked the service manager if this is the case, what are you going to do?
He said they'll probably re-ring it. When i got to work after going thier,
i checked the oil and i saw it was slightly down
   My question is: If thier is a problem with it and they do the
re-ringing, would it be best to have them do that or would thier be some way
i could get a new engine out of it? Im not familiar with how dodge does
this stuff with warranties. I gotta tell them that i can't be without the
truck for a long time.

By the way: if the truck has been sitting for a long time, like when i start
it in the morning, it has a hard time starting, like its struggling then i
comes up to life. I have no mods done to the engine.
   My truck is a 97' auto 318. thanks