Upper control arm bushings

From: Bob Mankin (bob@cadpros.com)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 14:35:56 EDT

OK, my '98 DAK is at the dealer getting a couple of annoying issues
fixed under warranty. The bed bolt problem. A howl in the rear end(hmm,
funny, last time they told me they all had that problem). Today they are
looking at replacing some bearings. Front brake caliper bolt was
cross-threaded from the factory. I found this out when swapping in new
rotors and pads last week. Asked them to look at it and they came back
with, "well it all looks tight". Grrrrr! Had to direct them to a TSB on
this one. Clearly I'm not the only one who has discovered this problem.
Then I've got a high speed driveline hum Still waiting to see if they
tell me "couldn't duplicate the problem". Then I get to direct them to
that TSB. I love it when a dealer brags about their 5 star rating, then
has to be directed to, not 1, but 3 different TSB's that they couldn't
look up on their own.

But I'm stuck on one last issue. Upper control arm bushings are bad. All
4 are cracked severely and the right-rear is coming apart big time. They
are pinning it on the JBA headers, while ignoring the fact that it is
the side away from the headers that is torn. Has anyone come up against
this one yet? Looking for something to fire back with when I go to pick
up the truck. Talked with Gary at Hotchkis and Energy Suspension now has
a poly bushing kit for the late model DAK(which I will ultimately
install), but I just hate to let the dealer off the hook. Only 3
experiences with a Chrysler dealer in my lifetime and all have been like
pulling teeth. What's up with these guys?

Bob