Gibson is here!

From: John Neff (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Sat May 06 2000 - 20:04:14 EDT

I received my Gibson cat back yesterday. Like everyone says, the hardest
part was getting the old exhaust off. The instructions say to disconnect the
stock muffler at the slip joint 8" ahead of the muffler. On my truck the
slip joint is more like 2" in front of the muffler. No worries though. I had
planned on having to cut the pipe, so out came the Dremel with two brand new
fiberglass cut off wheels. I was able to cut about 2/3 of the pipe before I
was out of wheels. Then I finished up the job with a brand new hack saw
blade. In all it took about 15 minutes to cut the pipe. After disconnecting
the hangers, the whole thing came out to the front. I didn't even have to
jack up the truck. I installed the muffler, then tail pipes, snugged up the
clamps, then installed the tip. In all, it took about 45 minutes to dig up
all the tools, do the install, and put everything away.

The new exhaust sounds exactly the way I wanted it to. Nice and deep, but
not a hint of raspiness and not too loud. I can hear it in the cab, but it
is not annoying at all. It didn't affect the bottom end, but I believe the
top end has improved just a tiny bit. It's hard to tell if it has more
power, or just sounds like it has more power, but I really like it.

A very big Thank You goes to Steven Toomey of www.smokindakota.com for
offering this group buy.

John
98 Dak 4X4 CC Sport, 5.2L, Auto, Mopar headers, F&B TB, Gibson cat back.