Re: Can the tranny move?

From: Jon Steiger (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Sun May 07 2000 - 16:29:51 EDT

At 06:44 AM 5/7/00 -0400, you wrote:
[...]
>I'm starting to think I might have shifted the cab back a bit on the
>body mounts. I don't see any other evidence of this, but like I said
>it's only about 1/4". Might that have had something to do with the
>clutch as well?
>
>I'd appreciate any ideas or thoughts of stuff I should check out.

   Heh heh heh! Wow, you sure know how to get a guy's attention! You go
off on an offroading trip, and then the first thing I see when you get back
is "can the tranny move?" :-)

    I don't have any experience with this sort of thing, but it seems
unlikely that both the front and the bed would move together (as I don't
think there is anything but the frame joining them), so you might want to
check both the horizontal and vertical gaps between the cab and the
bed. Seems like if the cab shifted, you would be able to notice the gap
being wider on one side of the truck than on the other. (Or wider at the
top than at the bottom...)

    Also, if the tranny actually did move, I would *guess* that it was due
to something pushing up on it from underneath, so perhaps a rock got under
the tailshaft or on the driveshaft and actually pushed the rear end of the
tranny up, which would angle your stick forward slightly. You might want
to check the mounting points at the rear of the tranny and the general
condition of the tranny, driveshaft, and mounts in that area.

   Good luck! Hopefully you'll be lucky and its nothing to worry about,
but who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and this is the excuse you need for a
360 and an NV-4500. ;-)

                                               -Jon-

   .--- jon@dakota-truck.net -- or -- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ------------.
   | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
   `---------------------------- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'