Can the tranny move?

From: Jason Bleazard (jbleazard@home.com)
Date: Sun May 07 2000 - 06:44:29 EDT

Well, we went wheeling yesterday in the '95 (more on that in the next
post... I've learned not to talk about too many things in one post, or
else some of them get lost).

After we got back out on the road, I noticed that the clutch pedal
seemed stiffer, requiring more effort than normal to push. I checked
the clutch fluid, and it looked okay, and the level was right up. So I
figured it was just because I had been working it fairly hard.

But then when I got back in, I noticed that the gear shift lever was
hitting the open ashtray in 1st, 3rd and 5th. (For the benefit of the
lost souls among us who don't drive gen II Daks :-), the ashtray is
fairly wide and sits right in front of the shift lever.)

I remember that I could get it to barely contact before, but now I can
push the ashtray up a bit, especially when shifting into 3rd. It seems
to be about 1/4" closer than I remember.

So I got under the truck and checked to see if I might have banged the
tranny on a rock and moved it or something. I don't see any signs of
carnage. The crossmember is fine, the mounting is fine, and it still
lines right up with the engine.

I'm starting to think I might have shifted the cab back a bit on the
body mounts. I don't see any other evidence of this, but like I said
it's only about 1/4". Might that have had something to do with the
clutch as well?

I'd appreciate any ideas or thoughts of stuff I should check out.

Thanks.

Jason Bleazard http://www.bleazard.net Toronto, Ontario
his: '95 Dakota Sport 4x4, 239 V6, 5spd, Reg. Cab, white
hers: '98 Dakota Sport 4x4, 318 V8, Auto, Club Cab, black