Re: *#@*&$ing intake gaskets!!!!!!!!!

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sun May 07 2000 - 20:01:20 EDT

At 05:27 PM 5/7/00 -0400, you wrote:
>well today I pulled off the MPI to fix the rear gasket which was leaking
>pretty bad. All said and done too me a leisurely 3hrs, just find and
>dandy... drive home and I start to smell oil again.
>F*@&@#$IO!@@!@!!!!!!!!!! leaking AGAIN!!!!!! I did reuse the
>steel/rubber gasket, but sandwiched it with RTV.. What gives????
> <snip>

On the rear of the MPI, there are two (male or female? ... can't remember)
'locators' which fit onto two on the block. They don't match in shape so that
the MPI doesn't fit flat on the rear surface. I put extra RTV around these
to make sure the seal is there at those locations. So far, aok.

An alternative would be to mill off the male locators flat or reshape
them so that it will fit flat.

Hope this helps.

Bob. Ont, Canada. '97 Dakota CC, 5.2L, 4x2, 3.92 SG, auto., 4350 lb.
RWHP: 226.2 (corrected) 231.2 (measured)
RWTQ: 332.5 (corrected) 340.0 (measured)
PB: 14.857 @ 91.67