Pinging?

From: fdedip@whale-mail.com
Date: Sun May 07 2000 - 22:40:43 EDT

OK, I'm a little ignorant, but I don't really know what pinging
sounds like. My truck never made any odd noises, so I figured it
wasn't pinging, but maybe it is now? It makes a rattly noise.
Actually, it sounds pretty much like the rattle it makes if I try to
drive in way too high a gear (ie, starting in 3rd. I'm not very nice
to my tranny), until I get up to speed. But now it rattles a little
sometimes when it IS in the correct gear- especially uphill, or if
I'm otherwise pushing it a bit. So I decided maybe that was what
pinging sounded like, and today when I was driving through
Washington, which has slightly cheaper gas, I tried using 89 octane
instead of 87. It didn't make that noise at all, but that could have
been just coincidence. Whaddaya think?
Flip
(truck abuser)

http://www.care2.com - Homebase for people who care about the Environment!