Re: Limited Slip Was: Swift Rapids

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 13:23:33 EDT

On Tue, 9 May 2000, Jason Bleazard wrote:

> Jon Steiger wrote:
> >
> > I've been doing a little bit of reading regarding all things off-road
> > lately, and from what I've been able to determine, a limited slip isn't
> > terribly useful offroad.
>
> >From what I understand, it's a huge improvement over an open diff. If
> one wheel has 100% traction and the other has 0% traction, sure, it
> probably won't get you moving. But usually each tire can find at least
> a little bit of traction.

  Hmmm, I guess the articles I've been reading have been written by
rock crawlers. :-) It should be an improvement, but is it enough to
not justify going the step further to a locker? I dunno.

> > The king of them all is the air
> > locker, which gives you an open diff until you hit a button in the cab, and
> > it locks the axles together (using compressed air); thus, you have complete
> > control and the truck's street manners are completely
> > unchanged. Unfortunately, they are over $600.
>
> Last I talked to ARB, they were doing R&D on the air locker for the
> Dakota. That was a couple of years ago.
>
> I just got my June issue of Four Wheeler yesterday (the employees of
> Canada Post finally finished reading it). They have a project Dak that
> has ARB lockers front and rear. Anyone know if this is only for '97 or
> newer, or might they have actually bothered to realize that Dakotas were
> really produced before 1997?

   Hmmm, it could be that they made it for the 9.25", which would leave
the older Daks out. What does the Dak have in the front? Is it a
Dana 30, 44, or something completely different?

> > Lets see if we can convince Jason to let us rip out his IFS for a solid
> > front axle, then you can buy him air lockers for the front and rear. ;-)
>
> Hey, if you wanna sponsor it, I'm game. I'll even let you paint your
> name all over the side of the truck. :-)

  Heh heh heh! I'll sponsor my time, tools, and use of the shop and lift,
but for the parts, you're on your own. :-) Hmmm, maybe what we need is a
solid front axle swap kit. Too bad I can't afford the R&D. :-(

                                              -Jon-

  .--- jon@dakota-truck.net -- or -- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ------------.
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
  `---------------------------- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'