Re: Limited Slip Was: Swift Rapids

From: Jason Bleazard (jbleazard@home.com)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 22:00:04 EDT

Jon Steiger wrote:

> Hmmm, I guess the articles I've been reading have been written by
> rock crawlers. :-) It should be an improvement, but is it enough to
> not justify going the step further to a locker? I dunno.

Starting from an open diff, I'd say the best bet if you're spending
money anyway is to get a locker of some sort for off road. If you've
already got a limited slip, it would depend on what kind of stuff you're
doing, I guess.

> Hmmm, it could be that they made it for the 9.25", which would leave
> the older Daks out. What does the Dak have in the front? Is it a
> Dana 30, 44, or something completely different?

I've heard that the new style uses some sort of Dana. I know my '95 has
a Chrysler corporate 7.25" in the front (and 8.25" in the rear).

> Heh heh heh! I'll sponsor my time, tools, and use of the shop and lift,
> but for the parts, you're on your own. :-) Hmmm, maybe what we need is a
> solid front axle swap kit. Too bad I can't afford the R&D. :-(

Well, we're part of the way there, I suppose. Anyone else out there
wanna supply the parts for an experimental solid axle swap? Anyone?
:-)

Jason Bleazard http://www.bleazard.net Toronto, Ontario
his: '95 Dakota Sport 4x4, 239 V6, 5spd, Reg. Cab, white
hers: '98 Dakota Sport 4x4, 318 V8, Auto, Club Cab, black