RE: DML:ATI Supercharger Kit

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Sat May 13 2000 - 13:44:15 EDT

That is an unfair comparison:

A single Supercharger vs. Twin Turbos? Uhhhh....compare them on a one-one
basis and the Supercharger will win. If you want another example of Turbo
heat and lag from Paxton Tech Q&A. (We can quote different opinions/results
but the fact still remains that for the money, you can't beat a
Supercharger.)

"Turbochargers are powered by exhaust pressure while superchargers are
driven from the engine crank pulley. Superchargers allow you to attain boost
and horsepower on demand. A turbocharger requires the exhaust pressure to
build resulting in a "lag" in horsepower increase. A turbocharger will
typically have a higher discharge temperature than a centrifugal
supercharger. This higher temperature is a result of the turbo impeller
spinning faster and the heat generated from the exhaust gas."

- Bernd

BTW: They use the Vortech as a comparison...they should be using the Paxton
since Vortech was a spin-off from Paxton manyt moons ago. Yes, the original
designers couldn't get their sh*t together so a few of them broke off from
the company and formed Vortech....still, a slightly inferior (but good)
design to Paxton.