Re: Re: Re: Jacobs electronics

From: WillTier@aol.com
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 16:07:09 EDT

In a message dated 5/14/00 12:09:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mrdancer@camalott.com writes:

<< I have the Jacobs EnergyTeam ignition (no, I don't like it) and it was
 giving me some major problems when I opened the plug gap (from 0.035" to
 0.045"). Not only would the engine miss at higher speeds (60+ mph), but
 sometimes the engine would barely start, then idle at 300rpm and die. After
 putting the plugs back to stock gap, no more problems. Never did figure
 that one out..... but I will stick with MSD after this.
 -- >>

This topic has been in and out for some time but my experiences with the MSD
and Jacobs on both mine and another 96 were loss in performance. I have the
MSD but have rigged up a circuit to where I can switch between stock (with
exception of the MSD Blaster 3 coil) and the MSD. I require the MSD with a
timing retard box when using NOS however when not running NOS I use the stock
ignition. I lose 2 tenths and 2 mph with the MSD when not running NOS and
that is without the timing retard. The retard only activates with NOS
activation. I can prove this at will by switching back and forth. I do run
.045 plug gap with either ignition and by using the Blaster 3 coil have not
had a miss on either igniton and I shift at 6000 both on or off the NOS. I
have a 93 5.2.

I have witnessed the same results from the Jacobs Pro Street on a 96 Dak. The
person installed the Jacobs and went to the track and lost 2 tenths and about
2 mph. During the week ha called Jacobs and made some changes per their tech
support. He came back and ran the same numbers (as the week before on the
Jacobs). He made 3 or 4 runs and then I helped him remove it and gap the
plugs back to stock and he went out and ran his original number, about 2
tenths and 2 mph better than with the Jacobs. He returned it.

I also heard of another person who got the Jacobs pro street and did a g-tech
before and after with similar results. He removed it, ran the g-tech then
reinstalled the Jacobs with the same results. It went back but their money
back guarantee requires a return charge plus the shipping so it cost him
about $100 to find out it didn't work.

I have heard a lot of pro comments on these systems but I do not remember
anyone doing with/without testing to prove the gains. Most were seat of the
pants I believe.

I talked with MSD and tried everything they suggested with no improvement. I
had even heard that the problem could be corrected by going to 24# Injectors,
Did not work on mine. The MSD is required for the retard with NOS and it does
seem to help as it does not miss at higher rpm on the juice which I did have
occur a couple of times on the juice with the stock computer and stock
ignition. Closing the gaps to the NOS reccommended .030 - .032 stopped the
miss. I now run the .045 both on the juice and off and have not experienced
any missing.

There has been a lot of debate on this topic and may again. What ever works
for ya is the way to go. My comments are only to make you aware of my
experiences and maybe save you some money or performance. Jon and Chris can
verify my experiences as they kicked my butt a couple of times because I
forgot to switch it back to stock when I wasn't running the juice and ran
that 2 tenths off my dial in when the bracket racing started. They thought it
was pretty darn funny once I remembered that I forgot to throw the switch :-)

For what it is worth ????

Bill