Re: Compression test on '87 Dakota 3.9L

From: Jack (jack@california.com)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 10:31:35 EDT

Mike Schwall wrote:

> I'd take a close look at #6. It's low, could be your leaker.

At 165, it does seem to be a prime suspect :-)

The next lowest, 180, is right next to it. I suspect and hope for a blown head
gasket because if it's not then it's a cracked head or block and I don't need
that today, thanks. I'm home today because it's raining. I refuse to work in
the rain...unless it's replacing a blown head gasket. My, my...I can't think of
ANYTHING I'd ruther do.

> Higher the better Jack. Do you have, or had pinging problems? Ever towed
> a real heavy load, or any load that put the hurt on the motor? I haven't
> seen any cylinder pressures under 125 unless there was a serious problem,
> on any engine I've seen. In your case, with the highest being 204, and
> lowest 165, your near the edge of being out of the 25% pressure
> differential limit. 204 does seem high, but could be normal, designed that
> way to make more power for given cid

> Mike Schwall mschwall@flash.net

I agree wholeheartedly with the opening sentiment. Yes...the higher the better.
You can't have too much compression or too much oil pressure...or too much
money and if I had more, I'd buy a new truck!

No pinging problems or heavy loads. You are poking in the right direction,
though. You are looking for conditions that may have put stress on the engine.
That would be the overhe3ating that has occurred over the years.

Yes, I confess. I am one of those despicable creatures who walk among us,
hiding their shame with a wall of silence.

YES, I CONFESS!!

I let my engine get too hot.

If it was a horse, I'd have to take it out and shoot it.

But with today's technology, I can undo the damage and do penance all in one.
Instead of three Hail Mary's and one Our Father, I get to change the heads...if
I'm lucky.

A mechanico was telling me that since I don't have water in the crank case, I
probably didn't warp the heads. If nothing's cracked, I'm okay.