Re: gas mileage, gas gauge, rough idle 4.7L

From: Marty Galyean (mgalyean@acm.org)
Date: Fri May 19 2000 - 09:27:22 EDT

Warning: approximate math ahead. Do not pass on
or paste into FAQs etc without this warning!

At one time I had roughly mapped out my '00 CC fuel
gauge by comparing amount to fill-up to the needle
position prior to fill up.

I assumed a 22 gallon total capacity (Chrysler wouldn't
lie, would they?).

Roughly, what I ended up with:

     ~2 gallons per division (~16 gallons total).
     ~4 gallons below 'empty' (if tank is truly 22 gallons)
     ~2 gallons above 'full'

I admit to a certain amount mental laziness that
really wanted things to settle on whole numbers of
gallons just to make it easier to guesstimate but
in reality, the ~2 gallon per division is only a slight
under-estimate (or was it over?).

To get the above numbers to read near a whole number
of gallons above 'full' I have to really top it up, 2 or 3
clicks.

I've never run it dry so I am guesstimating the 4 gallons
below 'empty'.

Also, now that I have my snugtop on the gauge reads a bit
lower and skews all that leftward. That is, I don't get the
2 gallons above 'full' anymore. Haven't looked at it a lot
but it appears like I lost just a bit less than a gallon
there.

Marty
'00 4.7L CC auto