RE: Synthetic Conversion (Bernd)

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Sun May 21 2000 - 14:22:35 EDT

Valvoline has DOT3/DOT4 approved synthetic Brake Fluid. To properly switch
over, you have to flush out most of the old fluid and then bleed the system
(preferably with a power bleeder) with the new fluid.

I'm a Castrol GTX fan myself and my father swears by it. My '69 Javelin
didn't seen any other type of oil with the exception of a 20w50 Graphite
conversion at 185K miles...that's when a valve let go. We had the entire
engine rebuilt to (almost) factory specs and the bores, bearings, rods, and
crank all were very clean and no excessive wear for that mileage.

I'm just running this as a test as well.

- Bernd