Re: want better gas milage for your 4.7?

From: Hemikota@aol.com
Date: Sun May 21 2000 - 16:09:53 EDT

In a message dated 5/20/00 9:48:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jstolarz@loa.com
writes:

<< Hay Boog, how hard was it to put the plugs in it? Haven't really looked
over
 plug setup to closely..

It took me about 1.5 hrs to do it, but I was taking my time too.
I'll outline it for ya:

DO THIS WHEN YOUR ENGINE IS DEAD COLD! i.e. 1st thing in the morning.
Aluminum is very soft when warm, and you could strip the plug threads!

remove the air hat and the hose going to the air box.
there are two brackets holding the coolant lines that run over the intake.
You will have to unbolt the brackets to get enough play to move the lines
allowing you to get to the #2 and #3 plugs.
Unplug the coil harness on each plug (one at a time as you go to change
them). Unbolt the coil and plug tube from the intake.
Pull and twist (more like a jiggle) to get the tube to separate from the plug.
Remove the shitty champion plug.
Be sure to put hi-temp copper antisieze on the threads of the new plug! This
prevents binding of the plug thread to the aluminum head. If you dont use
antisieze, you may strip the plug thread when you change them down the road,
and you DONT want to do that!
When I put the new plugs in, I just hand tightened them. Then went 1/8 to
1/4 turn past that.

One thing that is neat, the plug tubes have a spring for an electrode. They
dont bind to the plug like conventional wires do. (so dont expect to hear a
snap upon connection).
I think I got everything, it wasnt as bad as I thought it would be either.
Just be careful and take your time.
Boog