Re: Weatherproof Padlocks

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 00:13:53 EDT

> Kyle, what I do with mine is drip a wazoo load of Mobil-1 down the
keyhole,
> wipe off the excess, then I put a big glob of silicons sealer on the
keyhole.
> I completely cover the keyhole to keep water and dirt out of the tumblers.
> When you need to open the lock you can just pry off the silicone plug with
> your thumbnail and there is the keyhole all nice and new looking. In salty
> areas of the country this may need to be renewed every year or two though.

Good idea for the keyhole with the silicon, cause it would come off easily.
It is just odd to me that I can have my lockable hitch pin locked on my
hitch(of course, duh) on all winter long here(Indiana with salt covered road
in the winter) and have zero problems when I have to remove the tow ring
from the hitch. I used the same anti-sieze grease/lubricant on the hitch pin
lock as I always do on the spare tire lock, but I am now going on my 3rd
spare tire lock. I use the same graphite lubricant on the key hole area on
both locks also. I am going to search some local hardware shops and
locksmiths tomorrow to see if I can find a really good weatherproof lock.
The last two spare tire locks have had a cover or cap which snaps over the
keyhole, which I pack with lubricant, but it still somehow rusts up and
prevents a key from entering and opening the lock. Thanks for the info and
the silicon idea!!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6