RE: RE: Re: Dak vs Mustang

From: Stlaurent Mr Steven (STLAURENTS@mctssa.usmc.mil)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 15:55:26 EDT

You know you are correct. Roush Racing was given the engineering problem to
solve the mystery of the vanished 40HP from the Cobra. The fix is in place
and now will continue on under the SVT 2001 model. Charles has the story on
this since he works for them.

The Lightning approach on a lower timing as advertised than what is real
probably stems from that fixed on the Cobra, which was a point learned..
Like GM, which under rates there sports vehicle of what is true HP rating
and the advertised HP. I suspect Ford is taking the same approach.

Far as beating the new GT, well, unless you can beat the 0-60 time of 5.4
seconds, that means your Dakota has a Super Charger or a NOS unit. The 1/4
mile reaction, well, take a look at the Stang rear gear and you will a 3.28
gear. More of a highway gear than 1/4 jaunt. Now apply the 3.92 or some
where close, I cannot believe that a stock Dak could beat it.

Then I class my Dakota in the same category as the Stang. The all new
Hemi-Charger will do the trick. But then there is nothing in our category
that can beat a Dakota. So what choice do you have?

The GT & Cobra are very close on the time in both criteria (0-60 & 1/4
mile).

The future on the muscle car is growing between Mopar, Ferd, and the return
of the Bowtie F-bodies in 2003. This will only help us in the truck area
for the creep in HP to the 300 plus range for a stock version.

Steven St.Laurent
Test Engineer
Test Branch, GSD, MCTSSA
MARCORSYSCOM, USMC