Re: Weatherproof Padlocks(FOUND ONE!!)

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 16:58:45 EDT

> I'm getting a lock for my spare too....I'm gonna
> enclose the lock in a plastic bag that should do the
> trick, whaddya think?

Well I did find a lock today. In the past, I have used(two to be exact)
MasterLock 'weatherproof' locks. These were covered in a rubber like coating
and had a cap(about the size of a dime) which snapped over the key hole. The
rubber like coating could easily be peeled off, since it was just slide over
the body of the lock. It did not really do a good job at all of protecting
the lock from the 'elements'. The one I found today is made by Brinks(the
armored car people) and is really nice. This lock is fully covered in a one
piece rubber/plastic coating. Unlike the MasterLock version, this coating is
solid and has no open seams and cannot be pulled off. This way, there is no
chance for the 'elements' to leak into the body of the lock. The entire
bottom of the lock has a cap on it, unlike the MasterLock which only covers
the key hole portion. This cap snaps on really tight and I think will keep
the moisture out alot better than the MasterLock could have, and failed to
do. The shank portion of the lock is also covered in rubber and has 2 large
o-rings which I assume will also help to prevent moisture from getting in
through the top of the lock. Along with the lock, I bought a little can of
this stuff, which I am hoping will prevent any seizing of the lock in the
future. It is a lithium based anti-seize paste with a graphite lubricant as
well as having a rust preventer in it. It says on the can "remains the same
consistency upto 150degrees all the way down to -25." This way, when it
heats up in the summer time, it will not heat up and become 'fluid' and run
off of the lock. I am going to put some down the shank's hole as well as try
to pack some into the key hole. I am then going to put a thin bead of clear
RTV silicon around the locks bottom cap before I lock it up. I think this
way, no moisture will get into the lock, since the silicon will act as a
gasket and the anti-seize paste will prevent rusting and keep things
lubricated. The lock was only $10 and the anti-seize can was $4.50. Only
time will tell.........
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6