Re: Rear End Whine Answers WAS: Noise from rear end!!

From: Sandman (sandman@swconnect.net)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 16:29:49 EDT

Alright, I talked to my service manager today about this rear end noise alot of
you are hearing. I just casually asked him if we had had any customers coming
in with rear end noise between 40-50 mph and before I could even finish he told
me this is an age old problem with any rear end. He said it is just the way
the gears are cut and there's no way to fix it. You can change when it happens
however by adjusting the backlash. He said from the factory they make it so it
makes the noise at low speeds (15-20mph) so that it is ALOT less noticiable.
Now if your backlash gets out of adjustment for whatever reason, it generally
goes to about 40-50 mph. He also told me you can do all the adjusting, and
installing new gears you want to but that all it will do is change either 1)
when the noise happens or 2) the pitch of it. He told me that it is not
hurting the rear end in any way and that the best thing to do is just ignore
it, unless you hear grinding or something out of the ordinary coming from back
there. Also told me that this problem is very common in pretty much all makes
of trucks with any gears (american made anyways). So there ya have it, take it
with a grain of salt, believe what you want.

Now I've never known this guy to lie to me, have worked with him for about 3
years now, and he is very knowledgeable about this stuff. He was a mechanic
for various dealerships his whole life, and has been service manager at several
too. Including Chevrolet, Mazda, Honda, Mercedes, and now Dodge.