Re: trans diagnosis

From: David Chester (nonlabel@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun May 28 2000 - 15:49:28 EDT

> Just curious, but how many miles do you have on this tranny? D you have a
> tranny cooler?
> Kyle
> 93 Dakota 4x4 V6; 123,600 miles
>
> ------------------------------

 I've got 102,000 on my Dakota. It has a whopper of a trans cooler in front
of the radiatior. The transmission has always slipped a little when its
cold the first time you put it in drive. It's done that for four years.
I've towed a lot of stuff with it, and last week I hauled a pretty heavy
load of junk computers to salvage. Maybe that's what 'broke the camel
's back".

If I let the truck sit with the motor off for about 1 minute, I can put it
in gear and drive it about 500 feet. Turn off the motor, wait a minute,
drive 500 feet. That's how I got it home. If you DON'T turn off the motor,
it won't move. At first I thought this was a heat thing, but now I'm
wondering if a clogged filter might have the same effect: All the fluid
needs to drain back into the pan before it can pick it up again. Or maybe
just a bad "pump" and ideas?

I hate driving my Mom's SAAB !

--
David B. Chester