Re: Please HELP! Pro's advice needed. '78 454 Boat help needed!

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sun May 28 2000 - 23:51:08 EDT

> Well. My dad and I just got done rebuilding our skit-boat engine. Has a
> custom built 454, and we rebuilt it, repalcing all the werable parts etc.
> New high-performance cam, edelbrock intake, dual carb setup, etc. We put
> the MSD 6M-2 marine ignition on it. However, we got it to start and timed
> it and it runs GREAT, except none of the gauges work. We're stumped, as we
> didn't unhook any of the iwring really, and the ones we did, we plugged it
> up right. Any hints, there's a temp, oil pressure, gas, rpm, amp gauge.
> And none of them work? What could be wrong? Thanks for all your help!

First off, do you have an accessery only battery or does the boat only have
1 battery? On ours, we have an ignition only/power only battery and another
battery for the guages, radio, horn, lights, etc. Are the power wires hooked
up for the guages? Are the ground wires hooked up for the guages? Try
putting a volt meter on the backside of the guages or test some the the
wires go to/from the guages to see if power is getting to them. Do your
power wires have an inline fuse that could have blown? We used to have alot
of gauge problems also unitl we completely rewired the boat, the correct
way. Our boat used to be A DNR Fish & Wildlife Patrol Boat for Indiana Dunes
National Lakeshore, they wired it up pretty bad. Good Luck!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6; 21ft Starcraft Deep Hull