Re: Having fits!-please respond!!!

From: Dester223@aol.com
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 23:12:45 EDT

Fustration will only lead to more fustration in the future... Anyways. I
have lowered my truck so I can help you out in this department. It seems
like you're going for a
2-3 to a 3-5ish drop?

If you want to see pictures of my truck with a 2-3 drop, visit
www.angelfire.com/ks2/Dester223/home.html

Here are some ideas I have about dropping one's truck.

1) on the rears, I wouldn't go over 4 inches if you don't want to hit your
bump stops. I have it lowered 4" in the rear and even with dropped shocks, I
bottom out due to it being extremely close to the bump stop.

2) as for a leaf spring over shackle/hanger kit. I'd get the leaf spring if
you know you're not going to keep your truck, or if you're leasing it or
something to that effect. The shackle/hanger is more of a "permanent"
crossover for it requires grinding off the rivits that hold the factory ones
on. for flexibility, I'd get the leaf spring because you can switch it back
to stock if needed. I paid 64 bucks for my hanger (front "shackle) and about
30 bucks for a 2" block set, which I will take off and put 1" blocks on.

3) on the fronts, I lowered it 2" with a western chassis 2" drop coil spring
and I swear, if I left the factory bump stops there, it'd SIT on it. I air
hammered them out and installed a very short bump stop along with another
pair of drop shocks up front. Springs were 75 bucks and the shocks, all 4
were like 120 bucks. I do not recommend going with a 2" drop coil. I'd get
the a-arm drop (which is like 300 bucks) but it'll help assure that you don't
bottom out. And if I'm correct. that lowers it 2 inches and along witha 1"
drop coil spring, you could lower it nicely 3" in front without sacrificing
too much suspension travel...

the 1" belltech blocks cracked on my so I am in the process of exchanging
them and I just wanted to see what 2" blocks would do but... with 250+ pound
stereo box in the back just pulls the arse end of the dakota down and helps
it bottom out.

-Dester

PS. this might sonud stupid, but. When I purchases my drop kit (less than
200 bucks) it didn't come with shocks, AND my check book registered "empty",
so I drove around without dropped shocks for a while and a 2-2 drop didn't do
too bad on the stock shocks. If you're in a bind for cash and you're not
dropping it that extreme, you can probably last on the stock shocks for a
while.

<< I'm still not decided on how to lower my truck! I'm about ready to say
 forget it and just leave it where it is! I was calling around today to check
 on some lowered leaf spring prices because everybody I talk to with a
 lowered truck says that hotchkis is a high-dollar joke.I don't know exactly
 what they're basing this on, though.Was the hotchkis really worth the money?
 Do y'all that have it think that their leafs were worth 100-125 dollars more
 than any body elses? Do you think they're worth 230 more than a 4"-4.5"-5"
 adjustable spring hanger and shackle kit? I asked my friend that runs our
 local custom shop here about the best way to lower the rear and he said
 every lowered leaf he's ever installed has been extremely stiff and
 "bouncy". Are the hotchkis leafs like that? I'm sorry about the long post,
 but I don't want to f@*# up my brand new truck.Anybody out there who would
 recommend against hotchkis? I've got a 2000 reg. cab 2wd 4.7L/5-spd/3.92sg
 truck and would trade it for an R/T faster than I could say yes if I could
 afford the insurance! thanks in advance,Will
 coughlin@centuryinter.net