Bad Cat? (Kinda long)

From: Mike Schwanke (mps01@home.com)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 19:31:06 EDT

I'm having a problem with my truck that maybe you guys could give me an
opinion on. I have a 99 v6 with 13500 miles on it, drop in K&N (for now
until I get a QuickD), and Gibson cat back (I know, too big, but I got
it before I was on the list). The question/problem is it possible to
have a bad cat without the cat rattling and no check engine light or
codes? The reason I'm asking is because my exhaust is sounding
extremely loud and raspy. It is worse when the truck is cold, and when
you drive it, it sounds like vacuum or a rice burner, and if you get
under the truck and listen to the cat, it sounds loud. I checked for
leaks and there aren't any. The reason why I think its the cat and not
the muffler is because it started to sound funny with the oe muffler
on. I replaced it with a Flowmaster with the stock tailpipe and took it
off after 2 months because it sounded bad. I put the Gibson on and it
was all right for about 2 months, then it started to sound like this. It
has gotten worse over the past month. I've had co-workers tell me it
sounds bad, almost like a 4 cyl(no offense to those with 4 cyl). Is it
possible the cat blew out and the stuff blew out the exhaust? Also, if
it is bad, what damage has it done to my muffler? There are a couple of
other problems with the truck that might be related. It idles rough,
especially when cold, stalls, has died a couple of times, and gets bad
mileage. I changed the plugs about 3000 miles ago and the cap and rotor
with the Borg Warner, cleaned the throttle body and IAS motor, used fuel
injector cleaner, none of those has helped. Of course the dealer where
I bought it says there is nothing wrong with my truck. Any ideas?
Sorry about the length, just wanted to try to describe the problem.

Thanks
Mike

BTW Anybody had any luck with any of the dealerships in the Pittsburgh
area? Monroeville Dodge doesn't have a clue to what they are doing.