Extended Warranty (was Intro and 5 speed questions)

From: Erols (slakie@erols.com)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 11:44:04 EDT

I have to disagree with Andrew on the advice he provided on extended
warranties from independent companies. I do believe you have to select a
good reliable independent company such as a Warranty Gold or Warranty Direct
which have been around some 20 odd years rather than a fly by night outfit.
The reasons for going with a reliable independent are:
(1) COST - The quote I received in the mail from DC for a 7 year 100K
warranty on my 2000 Dak was $2990 (I realize they wheel and deal on that).
Similar coverage from the above mentioned companies was approximately $1250.
(2) VERSATILTY - With the independent companies you can go to the dealer or
the repair shop of your choice. If their is a rotten dealer in your area
(as appears to be the case with many DMLers) you are not stuck having to go
to them.
(3) DURATION OF COVERAGE - Some of the independent companies (Warranty
Direct I know for sure) begin your coverage as of the day you sign your
contract, not the day your vehicle was put in service. When you get a 7
year Extended Warranty from DC what you are basically getting is 4 years
added on to your basic warranty. When my Dak is either 1 or 2 years old and
I sign up for a 7 year warranty my Dak will be covered for a total of either
8 or 9 years, and it is much more likely that problems would surface during
that time. I realize that total mileage would also be a consideration here.

Ron
Springfield, VA