RE: Re: Intake Gaskets

From: Wisotzkey, Rich (Rich.Wisotzkey@gd-wts.com)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 10:13:00 EDT

Hi Jon,
It's the MPI (M1) intake. I used the new improved gasket set and only
applied RTV on the Guide pins and corners where the heads meet the block. I
should have know better. I was hoping to just slide a pair of 2x2's or
something similar between the intake and valve covers to do the change. (If
I can wiggle the intake out from under the accessory bracket that is.) The
gaskets on now are only around 2-3 months old, and might have 10hrs run-time
on them. $30 for another new set of bolts & gaskets; oh-boy! The Dak has
been sitting in the garage getting paint touch-ups.

I also need to replace the front main oil seal again. I can never seem to
put these things on right. Just replaced it when I did the intake and it
has an ever-so-small dribble. Guess I need to buy some type of tool to
install the seal straight in line with the crank instead of just tapping
them in with a board. My harmonic balancer is not very smooth where it
contacts the seal either. Maybe that is my problem, any ideas?
Rich