Re: RE: Re: Intake Gaskets

From: Jon Smith (fast4x4@bellsouth.net)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 10:34:52 EDT

I would definitely invest in a seal driver. If you can't find one cheap,
shoot me an email off-list and I'll get ya one from work at my cost. You
may also want to try "The Right Stuff" RTV, it's a bit expensive but it is
VERY easy to dispense, and sets up quicker than regular RTV. When I
installed the gaskets last time I put "T.R.S." from corner to corner top and
bottom of the rear gasket, still leaking a little bit. I plan on removing
the oil sender unit and distributor and use the pressurized can to sorta
inject RTV between the block and intake.

I have also noted when comparing intakes that the stock one has a cross
hatched sealing surface on the front and rear whereas the MPI was smooth as
glass....

> Hi Jon,
> It's the MPI (M1) intake. I used the new improved gasket set and only
> applied RTV on the Guide pins and corners where the heads meet the block.
> should have know better. I was hoping to just slide a pair of 2x2's or
> something similar between the intake and valve covers to do the change.
(If
> I can wiggle the intake out from under the accessory bracket that is.)
The