Re[2]: [dml_Off_Topic] New ATV

From: Michael Clark (magnumv8@wtez.net)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 02:59:15 EDT

> What? A rice-mobile? ;-)

Hee hee, yeah. But it sounds so much better than
the ricers on the street....

> Just kidding; we've got 3 early 80's Honda ATCs (got 'em back before
> they outlawed 3 wheelers) They do seem to get stuck pretty easy in
> the mud though, so the 4x4 should be a great option. Hey, how about
> sticking that thing in the bed of the Dak and coming up to the BBQ? ;-)

Wish I could. Just to dang far.....

>> I'll let everyone know how the Dak does hauling 650lbs in the bed.....

The Dak did fine. I had about 4 inches of
clearance between the front bumper and the back
window, but the tailgate closed. I used some of
those ancor points I was talking about, but I
think they were really designed for a brand X or
something. Once I tightened them down the bases
were turned so they werent' straight (and looked
kinda bad) but after cranking them down they held
very securely. I think the stake holes on the Dak
are just a bit too large for these, but they
worked...

On the other hand, the rear end squatted pretty
good. I already had 1 inch blocks so it made it
look a little worse. No bottoming out or anything
bad like that. The ride was nice and smooth, felt
just a bit tipsy on turns (no sway bars) but handled it great.

> Should do pretty darn good, I'd say. In the winter, I used 600lbs
> of sand in the bed for traction. The other day, we had the bed of my
> Dak completely filled with lumber (2x4s and plywood). It was squatting
> slightly, but while driving it, I couldn't even tell the difference.
> (Course, I was just driving "normally", no quick starts or anything.)

The ATV weighs closer to 550 than 650 I found out.
 Even at 550 I could tell it was back there.
 Accelerating was just a tad sluggish, but just a
 tad.... Didn't do any WOT tests obviously.

OH, and I saw a DML member on the way home,
Richard Lewis, in his '92 CC V8 heading the oposite
way on the Beltway. Pretty cool!

--Mike www.mikesdakota.com