Re: Bad Accident

From: Chuck Robbins (intense99dak@home.com)
Date: Sun Jun 11 2000 - 18:39:29 EDT

<snip>
> My question is this: What the hell would cause a car to loose control
like
> this? It was midday so I don't think alcohol was a factor but then again
> really don't know. I've never had a tire blow-out on me (knock on wood)
>so I don't know if that could have caused such erratic swerving of the car.
<snip>

    Based on the single vehicle accidents I've seen here, any number of
things could have caused the accident. The person might've suffered a
sudden heart attack or stroke, someone might've cut him off and "he" lost
control, something broke on the suspension, he blew a front tire (that
alone has a pucker factor of at least 8.5) or "he" was in fact drunk ... or
at least to the point where "his" reflexes were impaired. I've only blown
a front tire once and that was at low speed. It would be very interesting to
control a vehicle at rt. 495 speeds.
    The distance into the woods could be attributed to either speed or if
the person was incapable of stopping due to an acute medical condition
(think of how far your Dakota will coast from highway speed if no brakes
are applied). Also, the possibility of no brakes can't be ruled out.
    As for Mid-Flight, the person probably was injured enough to warrant
it, but it could be possible that there was an increased extrication time.
Given that you never saw the patient, I would guess that they were still
trapped ... or worse.
    Just be thankful that you were a spectator ;-)

Chuck Robbins
'99 Dakota Sport
http://www.members.home.com/clrobbins/dakota.htm