Re: Re: Bad Accident

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Sun Jun 11 2000 - 20:47:47 EDT

    <<Based on the single vehicle accidents I've seen here, any number of
things could have caused the accident. The person might've suffered a
sudden heart attack or stroke, someone might've cut him off and "he" lost
control, something broke on the suspension, he blew a front tire (that
alone has a pucker factor of at least 8.5) or "he" was in fact drunk ... or
at least to the point where "his" reflexes were impaired. I've only blown
a front tire once and that was at low speed. It would be very interesting to
control a vehicle at rt. 495 speeds.
    The distance into the woods could be attributed to either speed or if
the person was incapable of stopping due to an acute medical condition
(think of how far your Dakota will coast from highway speed if no brakes
are applied). Also, the possibility of no brakes can't be ruled out.
    As for Mid-Flight, the person probably was injured enough to warrant
it, but it could be possible that there was an increased extrication time.
Given that you never saw the patient, I would guess that they were still
trapped ... or worse.
    Just be thankful that you were a spectator ;-)

Chuck Robbins>>

Oh yeah. To say I'm happy me and my Dak were only a spectator is the ultimate
in understatements! I was a good dooby though and put my hazards on when I saw
traffic was coming to an abrupt stop and let a mom call the sitter to let her
know she was going to be late on my cell phone (Dak owners are such good
citizens! :-).

Both you and Greg mentioned the heart attack/medical emergency angle and I
guess that makes sense. The weird thing is that the vehicle seemed to take a
90 deg. turn when "whatever" happened. Kinda' like a shank if you're into golf
terminology. I guess I was just concerned/curious if this sounded like a tire
blow-out to you guys, as I've never had one happen to me at highway speeds.
Tom