Ram headlight wiring question

From: Jack Hilton III (HEMI@charter.net)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 11:05:16 EDT

Hey Guys & Goils -

I have been craving a new Dakota addition ever since the R/T went back to DC in December.

Trying to decide now if I want a nice used 95 or 96 RC 318 5-Speed, a new 4.7/5-Speed, or a nice used 98 or 99 RC R/T.

Anyway, I have an electrical question about the headlight system on Rams.

I have a friend that wants to wire a set of driving lamps up to automatically come on when the high-bemas come on without using another switch. Per the instructions, he tried wiring the 86 terminal from the relay to the high-beam lead going to the headlight. He is telling me that he used a test light to see
which lead of the three was the high-beam, and he is telling me that when the ignition is turned off that all three leads going to the headlight are hot. I told him this didn't make any sense as the lights would be on all the time when the truck was off.
I thought maybe Dodge was using a relay to open and close the ground circuit, but that makes no sense either as all three of the wires are hot when the ignition is off, according to him.
Anyone ever hear of anything like this?