Battery Corrosion (Attn Chris O.)

From: Fermin Lizalde Jr. (roachmotel69@home.com)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 03:22:50 EDT

Sorry, don't really know how it forms, but I can help you prevent it.
Disconnect cables (negative first, of course).Get yourself a battery post
and terminal cleaner (it has steel bristles to remove corrosion) or mix some
baking soda and a little water to form a runny paste and then apply it with
any brush with stiff nylon or steel bristles (be careful not to get any in
your eye) and wipe off with a rag. Finish off with some battery terminal
protection spray, I personally use LYNX brand (avail. at any good auto part
store). I had an 84 Mercury Cougar that I did this to and my battery cables
lasted 8+ years before I had to replace them and that was due to heat and
rust damage not corrosion. Hope that helps.

P.S. Make sure to spritz the base the battery sits on as well as any
anchoring hardware.
Fermin Lizalde Jr.
roachmotel69@home.com