Re: distributor reset problems

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 20:15:24 EDT

At 05:36 PM 6/13/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Well, I found 2 shops that agreed to reset my distributor for me, only one
>snag... I went to both today to get it done, but both of them grabbed a
>timing light. Now I was under the assumption that the distributor has no
>effect on ignition timing, just injector timing... One of the guys was
>appologetic that he didn't know what I was talking about, the other got
>pissed off and went to his Alldata CD's, Alldata even says to use a timing
>light. So what's up??? What's the exact procedure called to resynch the
>distributor? I know they have the Sunpro and OTC scanners, anyone have a
>model number, etc? I know Bob T. has the OTC...

Jon

Both the FSM and the MP Magnum Engine book say that turning the distributor
adjusts only when the injectors open and do not adjust ignition timing.

A scanner with the capability to do the Set Synchronization Mode test
is needed. Bring up the test on the scanner with engine running and
adjust the distributor (very small amount of turning is required), if needed,
while reading the display. On the OTC scanner, it shows:
              SYNC TEST ACTIVE
              Adjust sensor to 0 degrees
              Sensor setting = xx
              (Sync in Range) or (Sync Not in Range)

IMPORTANT: Do not press the accelerator during this reset mode: this will
            stop the synchronization process. Restart the synchronization
            process if necessary.

Once the synch has been reset to 0 degrees, the PCM will readjust the setting
to the optimum setting.

I don't really know what the Alldata CD is referring to when it says to use
a timing light.

Bob