Curing Trailer Plug Corrosion

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 01:02:39 EDT

Well I went over tonight to my local auto parts store to see what they
carried, as far as trailer wiring and accessories are concerned. I was going
to just buy a new 4 flat pole plug, cut the old one off, and solder a new
plug up; same thing I have done before. Well after seeing a Hoppy trailer
wiring kit for my Dakota(PN#42105) on sale for $14.99, I just bought an
entire new kit. I mean I was going to spend $5 on a plug and the soldering
time, so I just spent the extra money so I wont have to do anything. These
kits are really simply, as they really 'plug' into the stock system, took me
about 10 minutes to remove the old one and plug in the new kit. Tomorrow, I
am going to cover all the wires and bundle them up nicely with wire loom and
cable ties. I also just have to solder a ring terminal onto the white ground
wire so I can bolt it down to a good ground. Also, for $5 I bought a Hoppy
4-flat Mounting Box/Bracket(PN#48755). I have seen these for other plugs,
just not for the 4 pole flat type. This uses an aluminum 90 degree bracket,
which can be attached to the bumper, hitch, or anywhere you want to mount it
using self tapping screws or cable ties. I do not know yet where I am going
to mount mine; it has to be somewhere which wont get damaged when 4wheelin
and an area which will allow for easy access. The mosquitoes got too bad
tonight, so I had to come inside and read all my DMLs! Once this bracket is
mounted, a black plastic box(2"x3.5") gets mounted onto this bracket. The 4
pole flat connector/wires pass through the backside of the box(which I will
seal up the hole 100% with RTV) and remain inside the box until needed. The
box had a spring loaded lid on it, so it will stay closed when not in use
and hopefully prevent moisture from getting to the plug's terminals. From
when I installed my Tuffy Series II center console in my truck, I have some
leftover self adhesive neoprene strips, which are used on the console's lid
to help prevent moisture from getting inside. I have just enough to line the
inside of the lid with these neoprene strips. The Hoppy kit came with a nice
cap which covers over the entire end of the plug, unlike my last plug which
corroded out rapidly. Hopefully this will be the last time I have to deal
with corrosion on the harness' plug.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6