Re: secret CB antenna - does it work???

From: Mitchell Carson (Mitchell.Carson@dalsemi.com)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 12:47:00 EDT

Now for a little antenna theory...

Your AM/FM antenna is no where near resonance at 27 MHz. To make it "appear" to resonate at that frequency, the "secret CB antenna" idea places capacitance, resistance and inductance in-line so that your CB radio sees a 50 ohm load with low VSWR. You can adjust the "load" using a potentiometer -- thus "tuning" your non-resonant AM/FM antenna for good VSWR on 27 MHz.

This "secret CB antenna" works more-or-less like a 50 ohm dummy load (a big 50 ohm resistor). It presents a good 50 ohm load with low VSWR to your radio. By no means does it make your AM/FM antenna an efficient RF radiator.

If you want to be heard, you need an efficient RF radiator. Get a *real* antenna that's suited for your intended purpose. A 1/4 wave whip works best. Let's see, the middle of the CB band is 27.185 MHz (ch 19). 1/4 wave on 27.185 MHz is 8.6 ft. (234 / 27.185 = 8.6).

Good luck,
-Mitch
ARS: W5MEC