Re: Question RE: '99 Ram 5.2L

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 15:34:30 EDT

Duff

At 11:27 AM 6/19/00 -0400, you wrote:
> <snip>
>Daily driving (2 lane roads, but not real hi-way speeds), he goes thru a
>quart a week. However, in highway driving he burns A LOT of oil... how
much?
>My house to his house (40-50 mile RT) he goes thru 1.5 quarts per trip, this
>is running highway speeds (60-70 MPH).

As Ted wrote in already, it sure sounds like a leak in the belly pan
gasket (it's between the bottom half and top barrel of the intake
manifold).

Try pulling some (or all) plugs and see if any are wet. Also, open
up the throttle plates (engine off) and look down with a flashlight.
If it looks wet and oily, then it's the gasket leaking.

There is also a vacuum type test which should confirm/not confirm
that the gasket is leaking. If you need instructions for the test,
let me know ... don't have them committed to memory and can look up
for you.

Bob