Re: V6 vs 4.7 V8 MPG

From: Marty Galyean (mgalyean@acm.org)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 20:00:28 EDT

I have grown to deeply dislike commuting in stop-and-go traffic with a stick;
always searching for the right gear to match the oddball speed of the moment
which is determined by chaos if at all. I did that for 3 years after moving to
the Phoenix valley (little LA) and just plain got sick of the stick, then one
day while driving a rental car with auto, I realized I was almost relaxed in a
traffic jam. It might be an age thing also. I can't imagine getting an auto
when I was 25; I would haved laughed out loud at the idea and kidded anyone
thinking of it. Now I just want to reduce the tedium in my life and focus on
the main event and the shifting had gotten tedious. Once you reach this point,
if you do, nothing is sacred, not even a manual tranny. It was tedious; out it
went. I definitely miss the stick during minor street races but the cool thing
is I usually dust them anyway. I mostly miss the stick as the gas pump. If I
move back to a smaller metro area, say < 250,000, I think I'd go back to manual.