Re: V6 vs 4.7 V8 MPG

From: Gmblows@aol.com
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 21:58:40 EDT

I told him that so he could justify getting the V8. He likes the way my truck
sounds
(5.2 w/ Flowmaster) and was interested in how fast it is (V8 in a mid-size
truck).
Mileage was his only concern, I quickly told him ''The new V8 gets the same
gas-
mileage as the V6" I didn't know how true it was but I thought I had seen
some
posts about the 4.7 getting some good numbers. I'm sure once he feels the
power
he will not mind if his milage is only 1 mpg less. "Better" was wishfull
thinking...duh

<< Better than v6? Why would you tell him that? I've never heard/read that
claim
 anywhere before. My 4.7L 2k CC auto definitely is not any better than my
'97 v6
 CC auto was. At least 1mpg city worse actually. Still, the v6 was not
enough
 better to make me not get the v8 if I could do it again. The v6 kind of
sucked
 really having bad mileage and so-so performance. If I wanted mileage I'd
get a
 little nissan or something. My tailgate alone probably weighs 3 times what a
 nissan tailgate weighs. You don't move a 'mid-sized' truck with real
substance
 to the body panels and frame without going through gas quicker. The v6
really
 proves that. It has to work so hard to do it that any initial mileage gain
is
 trimmed down quite a bit. Might as well have the v8; better power/weight
match.