Re: Speedometer Pinion Gears

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Tue Jun 20 2000 - 07:37:07 EDT

At 12:56 AM 6/20/00 -0700, you wrote:
>If I want to dramatically change my tire diameter in a 2000 V8 Automatic,
>can I purchase a speedometer pinion gear like I did on all the old cars????

I believe the '00s, and maybe even the '99s, must be done through a computer
flash by the dealer ... another big brother act via OBD-II. I would also
suspect that there will be a limit to the available pinion gear changes
that can be made (i.e. dependent on available OE tire size and gear ratio
offered on the Dakota).

On the mechanical side for the '97, I run a 3.92 ratio and 235/60 tire
at the track. The only thing close is a pinion gear for 3.92 ratio
and 215/75 tires. Wonder if this is confusing the computer and is part
of my 'upshift' problems at WOT?

Bob