Re: 135k, what to replace

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Tue Jun 20 2000 - 14:11:24 EDT

> i've got a 94 cc v-6 with 135k miles on it and was looking for opinions,
> suggestions, and anything else you can think of as to what i should
> replace.
> i have replaced the o2 sensor about 3 weeks ago and that helped, but
> want to make even more improvements.
> i have replaced all the common things like caps, wires, plugs, etc.
> thanks everyone.

You might want to replace the timing chain/sprockets. I notice mine is
starting to slap under hard acceleration, so it will need to be replaced
this summer. Like others have suggested, this would be a good time to
replace the water pump, and it might also be a good idea to replace the
upper/lower radiator hoses(if they havent been replaced in a while). I would
check all the coolant lines, I mean all of them! If you do change the timing
chain, I would just go ahead and replace all of the cooling hoses and rubber
lines, flush the cooling system, put a new thermostat/gasket on, and refill
the cooling system properly. Check the heater hoses, cause any type of blown
heater hose or cooling hose could leave you stranded. Replace them if you
have any doubts, it is just cheap insurance. If you have an auto, might
want to change the ATF/filter if it has been in there a while. I change my
auto tranny fluid every year, typically in the fall. I would highly suggest
taking the throttle body off and give it a good cleaning with a can or two
of TB cleaner. It only is held on by 4 bolts and should take about 2 minutes
max to take it off. Buy a new TB gasket for $2 and you are set. How long has
it been since you changed the fuel filter? I change mine every 15-20,000
miles; it is located on the driver's side inner frame rail, about 1 foot
infront of the gas tank. Every time I change mine, I cut it open and there
is plenty of dirt in there. The fuel filters cost about $12 and I would also
suggest running a good can of fuel system clean through the truck after you
change the fuel filter. How long has the PCV valve been on your truck? They
are only $2-$3 and take a whole minute to replace. Not sure how much work
you want to do, but maybe pull the alternator off and take it in for a load
test and see how it is doing. If it is fine that is good, otherwise have it
rebuilt or buy a new one. I know mine is starting to do less work and the
battery is picking up slack for the failing alternator. When I replace mine,
I will get a 120amp unit instead of the 75amp stock one.
Just some suggestions. Good Luck!

Kyle..............Real Dakotas Are Built, Not Bought
93 Dakota 4x4 V6; 124,500 miles
http://www.bastaards.org/Kyle.htm