Re: Fw: 360 Help!!

From: TommFern@aol.com
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 12:07:23 EDT

In a message dated 6/22/00 2:19:05 AM Central Daylight Time,
miggitymike@juno.com writes:

<<
 Cool =)
 the motor didn't come with a flexplate on it, should I get a stock Magnum
 360 flexplate and use the weight kit for the torque converter? The
 converter is from a dakota w/318. Will the stock 360 flexplate help the
 balancing effort...
 I need serious guidance here =(

 -mike d. >>
  No, you can't use the 360 f. plate because it is not compatible with the
neutrally balanced 318 converter. Because the 360 is externally balanced and
your Tq conv. is neutrally balanced, there needs to be a flex plate that is
weighted on one end to compensate for the 360 when balancing it.
      If you had a 360 converter(it's weighted) you could balance it with the
360 flexplate and the converter on the machine. However, many shops don't
have the specific machine required to balance the assembly with the TQ conv.
attached to it. These shops can only use the flexplate. You must thus use a
weighted flex plate. Mopar has this sfi approved plate. Once this is
balanced, you have no use for the Mopar flex plate. Use an old magnum 318
flex plate with the install and the 318 TQ conv. and your set. This is the
most frustrating part of the swap! The good news is that I may have my Mopar
weighted flex plate from when I did mine. I'll see if I can find it.
Tom