Rear Diff fluid change increased MPG

From: jbe@micron.net
Date: Sat Jun 24 2000 - 18:18:31 EDT

I recently changed the gear oil of my rear differential in my '99 Dak
4x4 (open diff). I decided to go with synthetic since it didn't cost
much extra and I love synthetic oil anyway. An unexpected benefit
was a MPG increase. Normally with all the normal mod I have done,
nothing but nothing has increased my MPG. She holds steady at
about 15-16. However since changing the rear diff oil I am now getting
a steady 17MPG!!!!!

My question is, does anyone know if the transfer case has gears
and such turning when in 2WD mode? My thinking being I might help
my MPG more if I change the transfer case to synthetic too.

Ja