Re: Lugnuts!!! (Long)

From: Dester223@aol.com
Date: Sun Jun 25 2000 - 23:04:58 EDT

The stock lug nuts are cheap. I'd say they're alum, or a very VERY mild
steel. I was installing new studs and I tried tightening em on with the
stock lugs and they stripped and screwed up 2 studs. In agony. I put on a
"new" napa lug nut and the thing tightened straight on. I do not like the
factory lug nuts at all. replaced with better ones.

I don't understand what they're gonna do. Are they going to TORCH the lugs
and hope the burn off? hell, take it somewhere else! I'm thinking... maybe
you can get an air hammer/chisel to it and "cut" off piece and piece of the
nut, and when you're down enough, you can just pry the whole rim off and
snap, should go. maybe a die grinder with a grinder bit on it and a LOT of
spare time and patience.

after you get those lugs off, I'd replace the studs (which run like 1.50 at
napa a stud-get the right ones the first time!) Don't buy lug nuts from
them tho. They sold me ones that rusted in a week and costed like 3.50 a pop!

If you need more details on how to remove and replace the studs, e-mail me
privately, or I can just write a book on how to on the DML if you guys need.
-Dester

<< the deep tunnels around the lugnunts so I cant cut them off. The next
 morning I took my truck to the tire shop to have it fixed and they said it
 would cost $40-$80 to do, and they couldn't promise they wouldnt burn the
 rims. they put a plug in the hole but they have no idea how long that will
 last. I have run out of ideas, so any help or info would be greatly
 appreciated. >>