New ping fix! good and bad signs of it already

From: Dester223@aol.com
Date: Mon Jun 26 2000 - 23:01:24 EDT

Before my wal-mart incident, I took the dakota to the dealership to get .5
hours of "computer time" for the latest flash and the service writer asked me
about the pinging, and I told him my truck just recently did it, and he told
me there's a "new" flash out for the dakotas, that would fix the ping (hrm...
 this is probably that flash everyone's talking about?)

so. he talks to me a little more and he gets my truck in. blah blah blah,
he asked what I've done to help stop the ping and I told him about rerouting
the coil wire, running a lower temp thermostat and he asked if I was for SURE
it still pinged, and I told him "yah." anyways, the new flash just cuts back
majorly on your ignition timing. I was out on the highway. and driving
around in the streets, and the dakota does NOT have the perk it used to have.
 1st gear has totally lost it's jolt, I can't even chirp the tires, it seems
to take FOREVER to get to 30 mph in 1st, and I have never entered the highway
any slower... For those who are thinking about the flash, beware that it'll
probably slow you down. I'm gonna hook up the snap on scanner at work
tomorrow to see what timing's at now, and I'm probably gonna up my fuel sync
about 5 degrees and hope that helps it.

On the good "hush hush by dodge" side, the TSB will cover dakotas for 8 years
80k miles. so bring your dakotas in and have them reprogram it if you ping...
-Dester

PS. I did not get charged for the reprogramming. Also heard the dealers can
remove rev limitors and also speed limitors, along with program your speedo
gears,. makes me want one of those computers to fine tune the dakota...