Re: Transfer Case Oil

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@pop.flash.net)
Date: Mon Jun 26 2000 - 23:14:59 EDT

At 04:05 PM 6/26/00 -0600, you wrote:
>My owner's manual for my 99 Dak 4x4 says the transfer
>case requires ATF fluid? Can this be correct.
>I always thought they used gear oil?
>
>I know some mustangs used ATF in their manual trannies
>
>hmmmmmmm....
>
>Ja

Most likely uses needle bearings instead of ball bearings. Clearances are
much tighter so it needs the light weight oil to thoroughly lubricate and
flush the bearings. You can thank Mazda, among others, for that
concept. Yep, the T5 used in Mustangs use ATF, as well as a lot of the
manual trannies used in the late '80's F150 trucks. A lot of it has to do
with gas mileage. Thinner oil means less drag.

Mike Schwall
mschwall@flash.net

Robotics/Electronics Technician
Eddy Current Inspection