Re: Re: Dakota Weight - and now gear oil ramblings

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@pop.flash.net)
Date: Fri Jun 30 2000 - 19:46:58 EDT

At 10:51 AM 6/30/00 -0500, you wrote:
>About 4300 lbs. I have a 1997 CC/SLT V6 5SPD.
>
>As for the towing weight, check your owners manual...the numbers should be
>in there. If not, check the bumper.
>
>- Bernd

Thanks Bernd. I checked the bumper, but the sticker is long gone. I will
be towing a 6x12 Uhaul enclosed tailer from San Antonio to Oklahoma City
this weekend, using the Dak. According to the book, tongue weight is 400
max (no towing package), and 7500 lbs gross for truck and trailer. The
trailer weighs 1700 empty. Should be an interesting trip. Towing all my
furniture, engine parts, some tools and a bunch of other stuff that I have
in storage in SA.

On another note, I just changed the tranny and rear end oil again and put
in NEO synthetic oil 75W-90RHD (www.neosyntheticoil.com). Tranny is much
smoother now and it may be psychological, but it seems to pick up speed a
tad quicker when getting on the highway. The oil I bought had a cool
twist. I had ordered the regular 75W-90 HD oil at $10.50 per quart. I had
them ship it overnight. I ordered 5 quarts (1 gallon at $33 something and
1 quart at $10.50), total for oil was $45, the kicker, or sticker shock
when the package arrived was the shipping. Cost me $51 to ship next day
service. Ouch. When I saw the oil, it was the 75W-90 RHD - the racing
heavy duty oil - stuff that is used by NASCAR, Formula 1, IRL, LeMans, and
several competition tranny builders. That stuff costs $17 per quart and
$61 per gallon. So Baker Precision Bearing's, the company I ordered it
from, loss was my gain in a shipping charge break. Still cost me over $20
for shipping, but much better than the $51, and I got top of the line, and
after research, in my opinion, the best true diester synthetic oil you can
buy. Huuurraaahhhh

Anyway, San Antonio bound.

Mike Schwall

Robotics/Electronics Technician