Re: Re: Dakota Weight - and now gear oil ramblings

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@pop.flash.net)
Date: Fri Jun 30 2000 - 20:59:38 EDT

At 07:56 PM 6/30/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Personally,. I would NOT do it. I placed a tow ball on the dakota a while
>back, mounted a trailer to tow a honda civic to the truck.
>
>anyways. without the car even on the trailer and not accelerating like john
>force from lights and stop signs, when I got out to load up the civic, I
>noticed that the bumper was bent! Needless to say, I drove right back to
>u-haul and returned the thing...
>
>back to the subject: Personally, I'd go buy a "real" hitch. Much safer. Is
>saving 90 bucks worth hours of driving, worrying about a bumper snaping, or
>something happening in the middle of no where?
>-Dester

If I load the trailer right, tongue weight should be at a safe weight. I
will be hauling a 302 long block as one of the items coming back with
me. Put that near the tail of the trailer, should be pretty good. But
yeah, a hitch would be nice. I may end up doing that when I get down
there. Not going to rush out right now and do it, but if I see it's
putting the hurt on the bumper, I will buy one and install it before
heading back up on Monday.

Good call

Mike