Re: Re: Dakota Weight - and now gear oil ramblings

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@pop.flash.net)
Date: Fri Jun 30 2000 - 21:08:01 EDT

At 08:37 PM 6/30/00 -0400, you wrote:
>I'll second that. My 4x4's stock bumper is rated for 2000 lbs, 200 lb
>tongue weight. If that UHaul weighs 1700 empty, you're going to
>seriously overload that bumper. Forget the "interesting" trip - it'll
>be a nightmare. Spend the $100 and get a Class III/IV and bolt it onto
>the frame. Not only will you be safer for this trip, you'll be prepared
>for anything you have to haul in the future. I just put one on last
>night with the help of a friend. It took us less than half an hour.

Yeah I agree, but the Dak was bought as a light duty hauler and daily
driver. I have another truck that does all my heavy duty hauling such as
the annual firewood cutting trip. But, the truck is in storage in San
Antonio with a missing third gear in the tranny, so it does me no good in
this situation.

You both bring up a good point - get a hitch. Will see what it looks like
when I pick up the trailer - if I can pick it up. Uhaul may pull that
"your truck is too small" crap. May have to fire up the Hornet and pick up
the trailer even without a third gear, then switch it over to the Dak for
the haul back home.

Will give the details when I get back. I leave early tomorrow morning.

Mike