Trip/Towing - Part Deux - Gas Mileage

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@pop.flash.net)
Date: Tue Jul 04 2000 - 17:07:56 EDT

Total trip miles: 1194.1, total gallons burned: 72.535. Total combined gas
mileage: 16.5 MPG. Gas burned on the way down (unloaded): 30.718 gallons,
total miles one way: 620 (went different way down to avoid I-35 traffic),
gas mileage: 20.2 MPG. Gas mileage loaded on way back home: 574 miles at
38.817 total gallons = 14.8 MPG for return trip. Trip down was between 75
and 80 MPH, and on the way back was 65-75, with 80 occasionally (downhill).

For the amount of work that V6 did, I'm impressed with 14.8 MPG. I did
vaporize a 1/4 quart of oil, but after 1200 miles and half that working
hard, that's to be expected. Normally I don't loose any oil, that is
noticeable on the dipstick.

So there yah have it. V6 was a good choice after all. I like the mileage,
but it also tows pretty well for it's size. 'bout to roll over to 12000
miles pretty soon, get to change the oil again. Ohh, I changed the air
filter to a K&N drop in before I left, and also bought a new battery - Die
Hard Ranghandler - biggest capacity they had in stock that would fit in the
battery tray. I left the parking lights on while I was at work last week
and factory battery never fully recovered.

Mike Schwall