towing with a V6

From: jim miller (jmiller@texnet.net)
Date: Tue Jul 04 2000 - 22:45:58 EDT

Mike Schwall wrote: Dak did a pretty good job, for a V6. It weighed quite a
bit. Started off pretty good, lots of pinging and knocking and squeaks and
groans, but it got it rolling. It gained speed fairly through the gears. I
would get a little ping after shifts, but went away almost immediately. At
first it had a real hard time climbing above 60 MPH. It would not go past The
damn must have weighed 3000+ lbs full. It weighs 1700 empty!
Jim Miller wrote:
At the shop where I work we have 2 96 Ram 1500 V6 automatics. We tow all our
broken fleet veichles with the Rams on a flat bed trailer that is almost big
enough for 2 small cars to fit on it. I don't know what the trailer weighs but
we haul Crown Vics, Caprices and other full size pickups on it. I will admit
you cant make much over 50 mph with that load which must be at least 5500
pounds but those Rams will go from Waco to Houston about 200 mile at full
throttle non stop and no overheating or other mishaps. Oh yes the Rams both
have over 100k miles on them. They use no oil and only the timing chains in
both have needed replacement. No tranny problems either.
Jim in Waco
99 R/T (no towing with this one!)