Re: A Tcase is a Tcase?

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 00:03:29 EDT

> You may be stuck rebuilding this one.
> the interchange books indicate the 1993
> Dak MP231 is unique. True, the NP231's came in Wranglers, Jimmys
> and Cherokees, but there must be a reason they don't show them as
> possible replacements. Maybe different output shaft or (?)
> If you are bone yard hopping, the case you want should have an ID tag
> with the number 52097600 or 52097601
> If the yard folk give a sh*t they could look this up for you too.

Mike,
Are you the one who works at the tcase plant? I remember there is someone on
this list who actually assembles these tcases and knows alot about them. My
problem is 4WD engagement. When I pull the lever back to engage 4WD, the
lever will not want to 'stay put' in 4WD and will pop back out. This is true
for 4HI, cause it just pops back into 2WD and then when attempting to engage
4LO, the tcase lever pops back into neutral. Neither range will stick in
gear like it used to do. The lever also seems to require more muscle to pull
it back, where before it seemed to pull back and engage very easy. I can
physically hold the lever back with my hand and have 4WD without any add
noises occuring, but I shouldnt have to do this. I was really really hoping
for a linkage adjustment or something external to be wrong, but have been
told 3 times now I 'mostly likely need a rebuild'. Do you know if these
tcases have a 'detent ball and spring'??? THANKS ALOT!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6; 125,500 miles.........